Friday, October 29, 2010

The Impossibility of Ever Reaching the Snooze Button


We should thing about the utter impossibility of reaching the snooze button.  I have one of that alarm clocks, which starts beeping ever so quietly and gets slightly louder with each beep.  Now, here is the thing that I do not get.; My brain hears the beeps and gets my hand to move ever so slowly, or fast depending on the dream, towards the heavenly snooze button, but how do I ever reach it?  This is why I hate math.       
                If the button is a meter away, then at some point in space my hand is going to have to get half way there, which is 30 centimeters.  Before it reaches that, it has to go 15 centimeters.  Before it reaches that point, it has to reach 7.5 centimeters.  Before that, it has to pass the 3.75 cm point.  Long before it reaches that, it has to reach the 1.87500 cm point.  A few more points in time later you are at 73.2421875 microns!  This goes on forever folks.  This is infinity.  This is why there is no reason why your hand should ever be able to reach the snooze button.  So maybe when you wake up, think of the impossibility of it, and stay in bed.  Then again, you have done one impossible thing before you even get out of bed, so once you get up you should be able to doing anything else you might consider impossible.

1 comment: