Friday, October 22, 2010

Story from my childhood with vulgar words and drinking


I was sixteen, still waiting for that growth spurt that would never come, long dried out  hair hanging down to my shoulders, jean vest  hanging over my leather coat, and ripped blue jeans staring out into the dark pitch black sea after midnight starting to sober up.   This was the last beach party at the cottage, early September, and I stood alone while the gang moved downwards to a spot where nobody minded “Pour Some Sugar On Me” Blaring from my monster ghetto blaster.  
                Perhaps your wondering why such a sweet guy like me was sulking by himself  I should tell you what happened before and then I will continue this strange tale.  This was not my best night.  I had my eye on Vicky. She was taller than me, cute, and sassy, and perhaps I had chance with her.   We sat around the bon fire talking, drinking, and telling stories.   We heard someone splashing in the water.
“Get out of the fucking water, man! It’s dangerous at high tide,” Yelled Jason.  He was one of the few sitting by himself. His girlfriend was back home.   He had that cool quiet cocky air about him.  The splashing stopped.
“We could always go skinny dipping, “suggested Vicky shyly.
“Fuck that.  I’m drunk.”  Anthony, who, with his long hair and goatee, reminded me of Jesus.  Ok, a very vulgar Jesus. He had his arms wrapped around Kim trying to keep her warm by feeling her up.  
“That water at night scares me,” Said Kim taking another drink of her beer.
“OK, “I said, “I’ll bite, why? ``
“Don’t get her started man,” Said Anthony, before grunting after getting a shove from Kim.
“Some girl went swimming by herself one night.  They found her body at the lower shore public beach the next day. “
“Bullshit,” Said Vicky nervously, looking at Jason.
“I bullshit you not,” said Kim. “It was in the paper a few years ago.
The smoke was starting to blow my way making my eyes water. 
“No need to get upset Danny, “Laughed Jason.
“Fuck you, “I Cried.
“That freaks me out.  I’m scared, `` Said Vicky moving away from the water nearer the rocks.
This was my chance. Wiping my eyes I moved to be closer to Vicky.  I was going to be her little comforting hero.  I picked up a blanket putting it around her.   She said nothing as I moved in closer.  “Danny, what the hell are you doing? I want Jason to come over here, not you.  Leave fast.” She whispered in my ear which felt numb like the rest of my body.  That is the oddest thing about one’s body and brain. When we feel stressed or in great danger, our body’s immediate reaction is to protect out vital organs so that out blood quickly moves away from the outer regions to the center.  This causes us to feel faint, and feel like we are falling.  I felt like I was falling off a cliff.  A bloodless mouth makes it quite dry. I just sat there trying to calm myself down.  At least the wind had once more shifted the smoke towards me.   I coughed, and then stood up.  
“Hey it getting late and we are below my grandparent’s cottage, how about we move down to the beach and turn up the tunes.  We can make another fire.”
“How about you go fuck yourself” Said Jason, “Just kidding.  There is nobody in my uncle’s cottage, how about we go there and get warm?”               
Everyone agreed. I told them that I would catch up after I told my grandparents where I was going.  This is about the part where we started.  My friend’s silhouettes drifted into the darkness leaving me alone to put out the fire.   I heard splashing in the water.  This scared the crap out of me.
“That’s not funny!” I yelled into the darkness.
“I am sorry for earlier, “came Vicky’s voice.  My night was starting to look up. Reader, no matter how bad your night is going you should never give up all hope.
“That’s ok.   I thought you were scared of the water”
“I was just trying to get that jerks attention.   He told me I should come back here to help you.   So here I am, did you want a hand”  
“Hell yeah,” I said taking off my clothes and getting into the water.  This time of the year was nice, the water was now warmer then the air, once you got yourself into it. The thoughts of a naked Vicky helped as well.   I could barely see her in the moonlight.  When I got close I could hear her giggles and she dived under the water.  She seemed to be under forever while I waited for her to give me a hand.  I heard this strange noise on the shore. I started to feel uneasy, and exposed.   Then I felt her tug on me, which felt good until the tug was so hard that I was being dragged under water.  Call me what you like, but I have a fear of drowning.  I tried to be manly and not scream, but she was playing games and pulling me under the water.  I panicked yelling, “stop that!”  I struggled free and started swimming to shore. “Let’s do this on the beach.” I said
“You fucking pussy” She said. But I didn’t care.  Then I remembered the stranger on shore.  Great they were going to see me coming on shore naked.  Hope it was not some drunk looking for a fight.  Actually, I would rather that, because it could be my grandfather which would be worse.   Ever been tackled in the water?  It’s not fun. We used to play Frisbee tag and tackled each other a lot.  Like football in slow-motion, followed by a period of not breathing.   She tackled me from behind giggling and tried to drag me under.   I felt another hand reach out for me, grab my hand and pull me to shore.
``What the hell are you doing Danny? `   Said Vicky taking me out of the water, ``Why would you try skinny dipping alone you idiot.  I felt bad about earlier so a came back to help you with the fire. `
I did not say a word as I stood shivering. All my blood was needed to just make sure my heart was beating.

No comments:

Post a Comment